Pages

Monday, December 29, 2008

Shrimp BLT's and cole slaw

When I was at Costco yesterday, I was alone. Not literally, of course, but in that Rodney didn't drive me to the store and accompany me by pushing the cart while I make selections (unload the cart at the checkout, load the goods into the truck and haul it into the apartment) like he usually does. Thus, I could browse and look at all the things I'd normally ignore with 100% possibility I'd buy stuff we don't need, because it was such a great deal that I couldn't resist. Like a gallon of EVOO.

I wandered (or rather, was herded by the people traffic) into the book section. I know Costco has a team of people specifically to purchase books for their stores and the books they choose are hot sellers because they told me so in one of their Costco Connection magazines/ads recently. Some are interesting, like the cookbooks. So, since I was there, I browsed. And that's when I found THE recipe. Shrimp BLT's!

Use the link above to find the original sandwich recipe, but here's how I did it:
  • 1 lb. Kirkland 50% less-sodium bacon
  • 0.5 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails-on
  • 2 small tomatoes
  • French bread loaf, sliced on a serious diagonal
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • iceburg lettuce leaves
In a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat, cook the bacon slowly until crispy. Remove the bacon from the skillet (leaving any fat in the skillet) and drain on paper towels. Set aside.

Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook over medium-high heat,


turning once, until just cooked through, about 4 minutes.


Remove the shrimp, let cool and remove the tails.

Slice the tomatoes.

Lightly toast the bread. Spread mayonnaise on one side of each slice. Place a lettuce leaf, a tomato slice, and a slice of bacon, halved, on 4 slices of the toast. Top with two shrimps each and then with the remaining toast slices.


What to have with sandwiches?

Cole slaw:
  • 1 lb. cabbage, about half a head
  • 1 carrot
  • 2 tablespoons diced onion
  • 2/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Shred the cabbage. (Seeminutes 1:30-3:00 of this YouTube video where Alton Brown shows you how to do it). Shred the carrot. Combine cabbage, carrot and onion in a large bowl.


Whisk together the salad dressing, vegetable oil, sugar, vinegar, and salt in a medium bowl; blend thoroughly.

Pour dressing mixture over coleslaw mix and toss to coat. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.



Shrimp BLT's and cole slaw, it's what's for dinner.

Cost:
  1. cabbage: $0.50/head
  2. carrot: $0.10
  3. onion: $0.20
  4. mayo: $2
  5. oil
  6. sugar: $2/lb
  7. vinegar: $2/gallon
  8. salt: $1/lb
  9. bacon: $2.50/lb
  10. shrimp: $3/0.5 lb
  11. tomato: $2/lb
  12. French loaf: $2
  13. iceburg lettuce: $0.89/head
About $16 if you had to buy each item, which made 8 servings of cole slaw and 7 sandwiches, plus stuff leftover. Except for the shrimp and bacon. We ate all of that.

One thing I'd change in the future is the bread. Even when slices on a diagonal, or bias cut, the slices weren't that big. (2 shrimps per sandwich?! Tiny bread and that's the only reason why!) Plus, when toasted, the crust was really crusty so care had to be taken when biting into the sandwiches. Overall, though, it was a definite winner and I'll be doing it again.

0 comments: