Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Boiled Live Maine Lobster!

I love lobster. I mean, I LOVE lobster. I remember the first time I had it, the guys I was with, where I was and exactly why I loved it.

My dad drove an 18-wheeler down from MI to OH and back to MI every weekend when I was a kid in elementary school.  My little brother and I would take turns accompanying Dad on this runs to OH. It was cool riding in a "big rig" with Dad and he's the kind of guy who would blast the horn at kids in passing cars who did the universal "honk your big rig horn" signal by forming a fist and moving their arm with fisted hand up and down perpendicular to the roadway.  Usually, the regular rumbling of the truck, the steady pace we kept and the typically flat view of MI/OH freeways caused me to pass out into a deep sleep, with my head gently bouncing between the seat the the passenger door, forming a nice bruised lump I'd touch over the days after our return, anticipating my next turn in the truck.

Dad had a friend we knew from MI that lived in OH at that time.  Bill would meet us for dinner if he was available so he and Dad could catch up.  About 9 or10 years old at the time, the first time I had a taste of lobster was one Bill offered me. I specifically remember Bill asking me if I'd like to try it. Usually too shy about anything and everything, I agreed in part because it would be rude not to accept and in another part because I couldn't help but agree to a taste of this odd looking creature.

That lobster Bill ordered was something I'd probably heard of but hadn't seen and certainly hadn't tasted.  Bill gave that piece of lobster a generous dip in butter and I accepted it right from his fork. My first thought upon chewing it was that it was rubbery, so unlike fish as I'd expected! And then, as I chewed, the meatiness of the lobster stood out and then I realized the pleasant sweetness of the flesh. Having been dipped in butter, it was a gorgeous thing on my tongue -- and too soon in my belly.

If my life depended on it, I couldn't tell you what I ordered in that restaurant for myself. At nearly every opportunity since, I've ordered lobster if available, even on my first company business trip, not knowing that ordering something at "market value" might not have been the wisest choice until after the order was placed and everyone else ordered a steak or fish.  Fortunately, my workaholism made up for it.  I like to think it did.

You'd think I'd be a lobster-cook professionale, but no. This time was my second time, the first quite a few years ago on my 25th birthday. I'll be sure to increase that now that I am more toward being able to afford it and try to go cheap 95% of the time. Everyone deserves to splurge now and again, eh?

Boiled Live Maine lobster

Bring 1.5-2 gallons of heavily salted water (should taste like seawater) to a rolling boil in a large stock pot while the main attraction waits.


Place the live lobster in the boiling water head-first.

Note the lack of blood in my fingers from holding this guy while Rodney captures the image -- he's heavy and Rodney's slow getting the shot!

Cover the pot. Check it after about 12 minutes (less if a small lobster). Once the lobster is floating and bright in color, it is done.


Place the lobster in a colander to drain a few minutes.


Eat it.

Tastiness: I've already covered how much I adore this treasure of a food.

Ease of prep: While cooking lobster this way is the simplest thing one can cook, it does take a little bit of time, mostly waiting for the water to boil -- about 45 minutes total with my low BTU stove.

What I'd do different: I'd like to try steaming one once. Unfortunately, I don't have a method to do that yet without spending a small fortune on a steamer/pot system. Hopefully I can score a steam rack or engineer some other way to suspend a lobster in one of the pots I already have.  And I'd like to try roasting one, though more research is required before I make that attempt.

Cost: Priced at $14.99/lb, this sucker cost me $39.12. Yes, totally worth it.

Rodney tried it and can't see what I like about them. So, more for me. Whee!


0 comments: