Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Clam Fettucini with Spinach



Rodney and I agreed on trying this recipe. I liked the sound of it because it has spinach in it and I'd never cooked anything with clams before. Plus, it looked like it would be done in 30 minutes or less! Rodney liked the idea because I was happy about trying it. And he likes clams.


Canned clams don't look appetizing, do they? At this point, I'd already bought them, so on with it.

I only made slight changes to the recipe, but you can click the link for the original.


8 oz. fettuccine
1/4 c olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, minced
3 (6 1/2-oz.) cans minced clams, undrained
2 (6-oz.) pkg. baby spinach
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes

Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Drain.

Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds or until fragrant.


Drain clam liquid into skillet, using lid to keep clams in can. Boil 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly reduced.
 

Stir in spinach, tomatoes and clams; cook 30 to 60 seconds or until spinach is wilted.


Toss fettuccine with sauce.


SIMPLE recipe!! Dinner in less than 30 minutes!

It tasted pretty good too. I wasn't going out of my mind with it's amazing flavor or anything, but it certainly wasn't gross by any means. Rodney liked it too, though he made it a point to mention that it's not as good as the Shrimp Tomato Basil Linguine.

Cost:
  • fettuccine: 1.25/lb
  • 3 (6 1/2-oz.) cans minced clams: $1.79 each
  • baby spinach: $3.98/6 oz
  • tomatoes: $0.68
Total: $15.26 or $3.82 per serving. Wow, a little more expensive than what I'd expected, but not outrageous.

Yup, we'll be having this again. Next time I might throw in some crushed red pepper for a little bite.


0 comments: