Pages

Monday, May 25, 2009

Easy Risotto


Steaming hot risotto rice with Broiled Lemon Chicken.

Here's a new side we tried to go with Broiled Lemon Chicken (the second time we had it this week!). It's a quick and easy one from Better Homes and Gardens.


1/3 c chopped onion
1 tbsp butter
2/3 c uncooked arborio or long grain rice
2 c water
1 tsp instant chicken boullion Better Than Bouillon, the chicken kind
Dash black pepper
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese

In a medium saucepan cook onion in hot butter until tender; add rice. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
 

Carefully stir in water, Better Than Bouillon, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes (do not lift cover).
 

Remove saucepan from heat. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Rice should be tender but slightly firm, and the mixture should be creamy. (If necessary, stir in a little water to reach desired consistency.)


Stir in Parmesan cheese.
 


Done in about 30 minutes and it was pretty good. I'd tried the "hard" version of BHG's risotto sometime in the past and I think it came out better than this one. I was a little worried that it would be soupy when I checked it after the standing period. When I pushed the rice around, there was quite a bit of moisture in the bottom of the pan. It worked out well though, not soupy at all!

Cost:
I'd guess about $5. I know the arborio rice I bought (a few months back) was pretty pricy, but the rest of the items are reasonable. If you had to buy everything specifically to make this recipe, I'd expect it to be about $10-15.

In the future, I'll try the "hard" method and see how it compares.


0 comments: