Pages

Friday, May 22, 2009

Green Beans Amandine


Green Beans Amandine served with Broiled Lemon Chicken.

Earlier I noticed that we have baked potatoes a lot. So, to focus on some new sides, I went with a simple one I had in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook:

Green Beans Amandine

8 oz fresh green beans or one 9-ounce package frozen cut or French-cut green beans
2 tbsp slivered almonds
1 tbsp butter or margarine
1 tsp lemon juice

Cut fresh beans into 1-inch pieces (or, slice lengthwise for French-cut beans).


Cook fresh green beans, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water for 10 to 15 minutes (5 to 10 minutes for French-cut beans) or until crisp-tender. (Or, cook frozen beans according to package directions.) Drain; keep warm.


Meanwhile, in a small saucepan cook and stir almonds in melted butter over medium heat until golden. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice.
 
 

Stir almond mixture into beans.



A beautiful side, done in less than 30 minutes!

I was worried the nuts would taste burnt since they were more black than golden, but it turned out alright. We both liked it, Rodney more than me. He's a fan of nuts; me, not so much.

Cost:
  • green beans: $1.49/lb
  • almonds: um, $2/oz?
  • lemon: $0.40
Total: $3.89. We used nearly a pound of beans and used a fresh lemon.

Yep, will have this again.  Definitely.


0 comments: