Pages

Monday, May 11, 2009

Lasagna with Meat Sauce


Beefy, cheesy lasagna and garlic bread.

We don't have lasagna very often due to a certain someone having lactose intolerance. But sometimes I get a craving for it and after a little persuasion, Rodney caves. I usually do a recipe based on one I first started using years ago from a box of lasagna noodles that called for a jar of spaghetti sauce. Unfortunately, I don't know what brand of noodles it was so I can't give any credit. Anyway, I decided to use the sauce from the spaghetti recipe I tried awhile ago instead of something from a jar to see how it would work out.

Lasagna

15 oz ricotta
8 oz mozzarella cheese
1/2 c parmesan cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained/wrung dry
0.5 lb lasagna noodles

Prepare meat sauce.


Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions.


Mix ricotta, 1.5 cups of mozzarella, and parmesan cheese with eggs, basil and oregano in a medium bowl.


Spread 1/2-3/4 cup of sauce on bottom of 9x13 baking dish.


Layer with three noodles.


Spread 1/2 of cheese mixture over noodles.


Spread 1/2 of spinach evenly over cheese layer.


Spread 1/2-3/4 cup of sauce over cheese and layer with three noodles.


Repeat with another layer of three noodles, remaining cheese, remaining spinach and 3/4 cup of sauce. Layer 3 additional noodles and 3/4 cup of sauce.


Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese evenly over lasagna.


Cover with foil and bake in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes. Bake an additional 15 minutes uncovered.



The lasagna was good, though I think something was missing. The sauce seemed a little tart. Overall though, it is certainly worth doing again. It wasn't nearly as painstaking as the last lasagna I made, the Rosemary-Chicken Lasagna, though it did take a bit of time, about 2.5 hours. Maybe next time, I'll consider adding something to the sauce to reduce the acidity/tartness...I'm not quite sure what yet.

Time: about 2.5 hours.

Cost:
Hmm...a tough one to determine. I'll have to get back to this.


0 comments: