Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mandarin Orange Chicken

Ok, ok, I know. So I said I'd never eat Chinese again unless I was actually in China. This is the single time I will consciously go against what I said and knowingly make myself a liar.

During Mom's shopping spree at HMart, she picked up a package of ready-to-make Orange Chicken and left it in our freezer.


We'd essentially be criminals if we didn't eat Mom's food gift(s). Besides, with Mom here, I completely fell out of the routine of grocery shopping over weekends for meals during the week. We needed something to eat! And so we ate it. And it was pretty good.

I followed the bag directions and baked the chicken on a baking sheet in the oven.

Looks pretty skimpy, eh?

I got the bag of sauce ready and warmed it.


Then mixed the warmed chicken and sauce together in a bowl.


Plate the chicken with steamed rice, mandoo and kimchi.



The sauce was pretty orangy sweet, and fortunately for me, the quantity of sauce would be what many would consider too littl. I thought the chicken:sauce ratio worked out very well even after having eaten 2-3 pieces of the chicken before mixing the chicken with the sauce. The chicken wasn't swimming in sauce and I used the entire packet.



I probably won't buy this for us unless Rodney gets desperate for some Chinese. I'd rather have this than risk a super-sucky-overly-sauced experience from a Chinese restaurant.

Cost? I'm not sure about this one. Probably $5-6 for the 1 lb bag?

Time from prep to plate was about 30 minutes.

0 comments: