Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Meat Loaf


Meatloaf, baked potato and macaroni and cheese dinner as listed in the food plan of the week!

As planned, I made meatloaf. For lack of creativity and (my) craving for starch, we had the loaf with baked potatoes and Kraft macaroni and cheese. Don't know about you, but I love Kraft mac 'n' cheese (with ketchup on it).

The loaf recipe is one I've done a couple of times from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. If you go light (1.5 lb) on the beef, it'll be wetter than if you go with heavy (2 lb) beef. I prefer my loaf moist, not wet.

Click the link below for the original recipe or go ahead and do what I do:


2 eggs, beaten
3/4 c milk
2/3 c dry bread crumbs (Progresso Italian Style)
1/4 c finely chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried basil, crushed
1/4 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/8 tsp black pepper
1.5-2 lb lean ground beef
1/4 c ketchup
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tsp dry mustard

In a medium bowl combine eggs and milk; stir in bread crumbs, onion, parsley, salt, basil, oregano, and pepper. Add ground meat; mix well. Lightly pat mixture into an 9x5x2-inch loaf pan.



Bake in a 350°F oven for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until internal temperature registers 160°F. Spoon off fat.

In a small bowl combine ketchup, sugar, and mustard; spread over meat.



Bake for 10 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into eight slices.

Makes 8 servings.
Or 4.

I said before that I've made this before, so no surprise when I say I'll make it again.

Cost? Pretty cheap:
  • beef: $2.99/lb
  • milk: $1.99/half-gallon
Total $7 or $1.75 a serving.

Throw a potato or two in the oven alongside the meatloaf and brew up a batch of Kraft macaroni and cheese and dinner's done in about 1.5 hours. Piece of cake. Not exactly the healthiest or quickest, but definitely easy.

Wouldn't have made this meal if we didn't have milk (no-no for the lactose intolerant male in the houshold) on the grocery list anyway, so I went with it while I had it.


0 comments: