Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Honey-Soy Marinated London Broil


Honey-Soy Marinated London Broil and Herbed New Potatoes.

Rodney was saying that he was burned out on ground beef (from eating a lot of it last week when the old refrigerator was going out) and wanted whole beef this week, so I opted to try this recipe since I've never cooked top round (aka London Broil). Though I'm not a giant fan of marinades on steak, I'd read this is a tougher cut and decided I'd give it a try anyway.  Plus the steak was on sale.

I pretty much followed the recipe exactly except that I opted to cut the steak into sections before marinating so that I could freeze half; each bag of steak would have our portions cut before cooking.

Honey-Soy Marinated London Broil

1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 c vegetabe oil
1/4 c soy sauce
1/4 c honey
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp grated ginger
2.5 lb top round steak (1 inch thick)

Combine all ingredients except steak in resealable plastic bag. Add steak; refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

A huge 2.5 lb slab of beef.


I cut the portions into serving sizes (Rodney's are the big ones on the ends).


Then bagged the servings into two 1-quart Ziplocs. One went right into the freezer and the other in the 'fridge overnight.

Heat broiler.

Remove steak from marinade, shaking off excess; discard marinade. Broil 8 to 10 minutes for medium-rare, turning once. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
 
Straight from the broiler, I put them on a plate and covered it with foil.


And this is how they looked after resting 10 minutes.

Rodney liked how it tasted, but I thought the marinade was too sweet and vinegary. And it is no joke that this cut of beef is tough! You really need to pay close attention to slicing it thinly and really be conscious of cutting it across the grain or else you'd be gnawing at it for hours. If you do it just right, it's not too bad.  If I decide to take a stab at having London Broil or top round again, I think I'll try a different recipe just to see what else can be done with this beef.

I was impressed with how well it cooked in the broiler -- my first time broiling a steak. I was worried it would get burned, but it turned out medium-rare and wasn't charcoal on the exterior.

Cost was about $5 to make this and there's more in the freezer.

Time, excluding marinating, to make this was about 30 minutes total.


0 comments: