Pages

Monday, August 3, 2009

Spice-Rubbed Chicken with Honey Glaze

A pile of broiled Spice-Rubbed Chicken brushed with Honey Glaze.

I found this whole chicken, cut in half, on special for $0.59/lb.


Since I wanted to do something with it other than the Broiled Lemon Chicken we've been having a lot recently, I found a recipe from a neato blog called Week of Menus. The original recipe called for a bunch of boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I disregarded that boneless thigh part and used my cut-up whole chicken, though I did skin each piece (except the wings, which I bagged and stuck in the freezer).


Aside from the types of pieces, I stuck to the original recipe, which you can check out by clicking the link below.

Spice Rubbed Chicken with Honey Glaze

1 whole chicken, cut into serving sized pieces, half-breasts halved, minus wings
4 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 c honey
3 tbsp rice vinegar

Preheat broiler.

Mix garlic, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and olive oil in a bowl. Mix well.


Add chicken pieces and mix/rub well so that the mixture coats all the chicken pieces evenly.


On a foil-lined broiler pan, lay the chicken pieces and broil 9-10 minutes.


Meanwhile, mix vinegar and honey, warming gently if necessary.

Brush chicken with honey-vinegar, turn chicken, and continue cooking for an additional 18-20 minutes, brushing and turning every 9-10 minutes.
  
Don't freak out -- it's the sugar in the sauce that is blackening, NOT the chicken!

See? It's ok!

Remove chicken from oven. Brush chicken with honey vinegar glaze. Place chicken on a plate and cover 5 minutes.


Wow, this stuff was so fragrant as it broiled -- yum! And the recipe worked well with the whole chicken pieces, proof you don't need chicken at boneless prices.

Rodney had no complaints about this recipe and even said it would be great with wings. I totally agree this recipe would be great with wings, particularly because wings typically have skin-on. With that, I think this recipe would've been better if I hadn't bothered with skinning each piece. Maybe next time I'll do half with skin and half without, just to satisfy the crispy and healthy wants. Also, I'll cut the amount of honey-vinegar in half. There was so much brushed on that neither of us wanted to use any of the drizzle.

Cost was cheap! We had everything for it and the only thing I bought was the chicken, so it was $2.40-3.00 or so. There was even two pieces left that Rodney ate cold the next day.

We enjoyed the chicken with what was left of Indiana Joe's tater salad and a simple salad:


2 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW (impressed look). Your Lemon Chicken looks so yummy.

Here I bought a sauce pack for Lemon Chicken so as to skip all the seasonings! and i will try this friday after work.
http://yummiexpress.freetzi.com

The Cook said...

Sophie, I'm glad you like the looks of the Lemon Chicken! I look forward to hearing how yours turns out...be sure to keep me posted!