Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Classic Saffron Rice


So flavorful this fluffy rice!

A "Spanish rice made with onions and chicken broth colored with saffron" was recommended to accompany the Lemon-Saffron Grilled Chicken Thighs.  Unfortunately, Cooking Pleasures didn't offer up a recipe, which meant my anal self went hunting to find one to fit the bill.  I found one I thought would be perfect which called for basmati rice.  Since I didn't bookmark the link or print the page, I lost it.  So I went hunting again.  Push was coming to shove, so I went with this one, thinking it would be satisfactory.  I didn't think it was be sooo good!

I made the change from long-grain rice to basmati and included a couple more specific details.  If you don't like details, click the link.  Otherwise, read on...

Classic Saffron Rice

1 c basmati rice
2 c chicken stock (from Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base)
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp finely minced onion
1/2 tsp salt
small pinch saffron, sort of crumbled

Heat butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan until slightly foamy. Add onions and saute until translucent.


Add rice, saffron, stock and salt.
 

Bring to a rolling boil. Cover, reduce heat to simmer.
 

Cook until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 18 minutes.
 

Fluff with a fork.


So fluffy!  So rich!  So buttery! So...succulent! So easy!

Rodney and I both LOVED this rice!  It's definitely going to accompany many of our meals.

Cost:
  • basmati rice: $3.99/2 lb =  $0.80
  • saffron: $1
Total: let's say $2 to include butter and other stuff.  Enough for four normal servings, we got three.  Each serving ran us about $0.67!! 

No brainer here.  We'll have this again.  And again.  And again.  You get the picture.

0 comments: