Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

Country-Style Pork Ribs in the crockpot


Country-Style Pork Ribs from the CrockPot with with corn-on-the-cob and fresh cole slaw.

It's Labor Day and that means barbecue. You know I don't have a grill; considering how friggin' hot it's been, I don't want to do ribs in the oven. That means crock pot cooking. I dug through my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and found this one.


1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
2-1/2 to 3 pounds country-style pork ribs
1-1/2 c vegetable juice cocktail
1/2 of a 6-ounce can (1/3 cup) tomato paste
1/4 c molasses
3 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp dried thyme, crushed
1/8 tsp dried rosemary, crushed

Place onion in a 3-1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker. Place ribs on top of onion in cooker.
 

In a 2-cup liquid measuring cup stir together remaining ingredients. Pour juice cocktail mixture over ribs, reserving one cup. Cover and chill remaining mixture.
  

Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours*.


For sauce, in a small saucepan heat reserved juice cocktail mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

Transfer ribs to serving platter; discard cooking liquid.


Serve sauce with ribs.

*Our crock pot cooks quickly, very quickly. So I cooked the ribs on low for 4 hours and when I saw it was a hard-core rolling boil, switched it to warm for 3 hours.


The ribs smelled so good when they were cooking! When we were ready to chow, I pulled the ribs from the crock pot in pieces as the fat and any collagen had disintegrated. I think I may have jumped the gun a little bit by switching the crockpot to warm when I did. The meat itself was a little bit drier than what I think it should have been. The country ribs in the oven recipe actually yielded more juicy, tender meat.

I'm not big into sauces and was hoping the extra sauce wasn't necessary, but it was to make up for the slight dryness. The sauce itself was ok, but not the greatest. Unfortunately, the acidity of the sauce ended up doing a little bit of a job on Rodney's internals. Ah well.

Cost:

  • onion: $0.15
  • pork country-style ribs: $2.96/3 lbs
  • tomato paste: $0.42
  • molasses: $1, SWAG (scientific wild-ass guess)
Total: approximately $4.53 or $1.13 per serving.

While cheap, the likelihood of my making this again is pretty slim just because of the acidity:Rodney reaction.  If I do, I'll have to modify the sauce a little bit to reduce the acidity and try the recommended cooking time and settings to see how that works out.


0 comments: