Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

French Onion Sirloin Steak


French Onion Sirloin Steak, Sauteed New Potatoes with Rosemary and Sea Salt, and a side of steamed green beans.

I've never had French onion soup before, so didn't have any biased expectations of this steak. Since Cooking Pleasures recommended serving it on oven-browned oil-brushed sourdough slices topped with Swiss or Gruyere cheese, I did that.

French Onion Sirloin Steak

2 tbsp butter, divided
1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp sugar
3 tbsp cooking sherry
1 tsp ground thyme
2 (6-oz.) boneless beef sirloin steaks (1 inch thick)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in large skillet over medium heat.

Cook onions with sugar 20 minutes or until deep golden brown and caramelized, stirring frequently.
 

Stir in sherry and thyme; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until sherry is reduced.


Meanwhile, sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper.


Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in medium skillet over medium heat.


Cook steaks 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare, turning once.
 

Serve onions over steaks.


I thought the flavors were great, but other things didn't quite come together for me.  Part of the problem was that I'd put the olive oil brushed sourdough slices in the oven and essentially forgot they were in there until they were like browned bricks.  The cheese wasn't melted when I put the steaks and onions on them.  Cutting through the steak and bread brick was difficult, yet it tasted good. 

Rodney feels it's sacreligious to pan-fry a steak.  The "burnt" onions weren't in his favor either. 

Cost:
Total: let's say $4.50 total including all the other stuff like bread slices and spices.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a good deal on cast iron skillets.  I'd like to try Alton Brown's method of cooking steak once.  Otherwise, I'll probably stay clear of steaks for a while.   


0 comments: