Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sauteed New Potatoes with Rosemary and Sea Salt



I'd mentally earmarked this recipe a while ago.  When steak turned up in the queue, of course I thought of my favorite vegetable, the fantastic versatile potato.

Sauteed New Potatoes with Rosemary and Sea Salt

1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 1/2 lb. unpeeled red potatoes, cut to approximatly 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces
2 (2-inch) sprigs fresh rosemary
2 tsp minced fresh rosemary
2 tsp coarse sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Heat oil and butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until oil is hot and butter is melted.

Cook and stir potatoes 5 minutes or until potatoes glisten and change color.
 

Add rosemary sprigs; reduce heat to medium. Cover; cook 15-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender, shaking skillet and stirring occasionally.
 

Serve potatoes sprinkled with minced rosemary, salt and pepper.



Two teaspoons of coarse sea salt (from the Costco jumbo pack of Meditteranian Sea Salt) were too much.  WAY too much.  You'd think the Dead Sea was drained and the remaining salt was dumped into my skillet.  I scooped the potatoes into a colander and shook the salt from them.  And they were still too salty.  But boy, were they pretty and crispy yet tender!  Is it possible I used two tablespoons?   

Cost:
  • potatoes: $1.01
  • rosemary: $1.29
Total:  about $2.30 or $3 if you include the estimated expense of the other items.

Yep, gonna do this again.  I have to just to see if I goofed it up!


0 comments: