Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Strawberry Pancakes


While I think they could be prettier, Rodney said they tasted great.

Saturdays mean sleeping in and eating a nice, late breakfasty lunch. Or dinner, depending on when I wake from my slumber and get movin'.

Strawberries left from a salad I'd intended to make but didn't meant Rodney got some strawberry pancakes!


I made the typical pancake fare from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, but this time added chopped strawberries. Click the link to see what Rodney usually gets for breakfast; continue on to see what he got today.

Strawberry Pancakes

1 c flour
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 c vanilla-flavored soymilk
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 pint strawberries, hulled and mushy parts cut off, then chopped

Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center.


Combine the egg, milk and oil.

Note: You can measure the milk, add the egg and oil, then beat. Save a dish from being dirtied.

Add egg mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened -- it will be lumpy.
 

For standard-size pancakes, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. For dollar-size pancakes, pour about 1 tablespoon batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet.

Sprinkle/spoon berries into pancake batter immediately after it's poured into skillet. Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes on each side or till pancakes are golden brown, turning to second sides when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and edges are slightly dry.
 


These didn't turn out too bad. The first one (pictured just above) always comes out browned weird. Maybe I don't let my skillet get up to full temp when I start. The rest of them, as usual, browned evenly. One thing that was annoying was the strawberries would stick to the pan. Next time, I'll make the batter a little thinner so the berries sink faster, minimizing strawberry-skillet interface, and I'll chop the berries into smaller pieces. That'll help, I bet.

Cost:

  • berries: $0.99/pint
Total: let's say $1 for a stack of cakes.  All the other stuff I have anyway. 

Next time we have strawberries hangin' around, I'll try this again.


0 comments: