Pages

Monday, October 5, 2009

Baked Red Potato Fans


Isn't this the cutest potato you've ever seen?

Typically when we have salmon, we have rice. This time I thought I'd go with these neato potato fans to accompany the salmon, you know, to mix it up a bit.

I did change the recipe slightly. I didn't buy fresh thyme since most of it would go to waste anyhow, so used dry. And I didn't just sprinkle the dry goods on, I stirred it into oil. Yada, yada. Let me just move on.

Baby Baked Potato Fans

8 red potatoes
1/4 c olive oil, divided
3 tbsp butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Heat oven to 400°F.

Tape 2 wooden chopsticks or dowels to cutting board, leaving a narrow space between them the width of the potatoes.


Place a potato between chopsticks; thinly slice (1/8 inch) without cutting through bottom. (Chopsticks stop knife from cutting too far.)

Rub potato with 1 teaspoon of the oil; place on foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining potatoes.

I didn't read the recipe too carefully and realized at this point that I needed to measure some oil, 1 tsp at a time. Rather than do that, I took a short-cut and asked for Rodney's help. Holding a fan over the foil-lined sheet, Rodney poured a tad of oil onto the fan and I rubbed it all over the potato.

Brush potatoes with butter, pressing lightly on potatoes to fan open (be careful not to press too hard).

Make a slurry thyme, salt and pepper in oil, approximately 1/8 c.


Pour oil mixture over potato fans.


Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until tender and golden brown.



I stopped baking these after 30 minutes, which turned out to be too early. The thicker slices of potato were still firm. After plating, I returned the remaining potatoes to the oven for about 15 minutes more and they were absolutely divine. Rodney and I "tasted" about three potatoes after dinner.

Cost:
  • red potatoes: $1.50
Total: $2.00 with cost of oil and stuff added in

There was plenty for dinner, for "tasting" and more leftover. We're certainly having this again.

0 comments: