Pages

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Baked Red Potato Fans, Take 2


Baked Red Potato Fans alongside Broiled Lemon Chicken.

These were super duper when I made them the first time. I wanted to see how they look when imaged with the new camera. I used the original recipe and tried sticking to it, but ended up making a variation anyway. Click the link to find the original recipe at Cooking Club.

Baby Baked Potato Fans

12 small new potatoes
1/4 c olive oil, divided
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Heat oven to 400°F. Tape 2 wooden chopsticks or dowels to cutting board, leaving a space between them the width of the potatoes. Place 1 new potato between chopsticks; thinly slice (1/8 inch) without cutting through bottom. (Chopsticks stop knife from cutting too far.)

Rub potato with 1 teaspoon of the oil; place on foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining potatoes.


Mix thyme, salt and pepper into remaining oil; pour over fans.


Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until tender and golden brown.



Ok, these didn't turn out to be as completely bitchin' as the first time I made them. It's because I cut out the butter this time.  Stop. Don't say it. I know. My head is hanging in shame.  

Last time, I didn't measure out the 1/4 cup of olive oil.  I did measure this time and dipped each potato fan into the oil and rubbed it all over.  When I was done with the last potato, I saw how much oil was left: a lot.  A ton!  I thought it wouldn't make that big a difference if I used the remaining oil instead of butter.  So wrong, so very wrong.

I'm definitely going to try this again, with regular sized red potatoes rather than baby reds.  And I'll measure out 1/8 cup of oil.  Maybe then the oil quantity won't be so out of control.  Stay tuned.   

As for the camera, it was able to image the potatoes without a flash, even though it was night and I only had fake light to illuminate my cave-like kitchen. The majority of images came out so much better than those with the old camera. 

Still, part of the art of photography is simply getting a good shot.  I much prefer the final image for the potatoes the last time I made them -- that really cute potato.  Believe it or not, but that cute potato image was posted without any Photoshop (as were all photos with the old camera).  Damn, I was just gettin' good with that sucker.


0 comments: