Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2009

New Ingredient: Noilly Prat



I planned on doing a Chicken Cacciatore recipe from Better Homes and Gardens which calls for a dry white wine. 

I'm not a wine connesuir by any means.  Wine gives me a headache like you wouldn't believe and thus I avoid it.  It took some Googling to get a specific name for dry white wine suitable for cooking and it turned out that the best dry white wine was actually a vermouth, which, believe it or not, is a dry white wine with spices/herbs.  Who'd a thunk it?

Apparently, Juila Child was a big fan of using Noilly Prat vermouth in place of dry white wine.  I guess it has all the tang of wine but lasts longer.  So if you aren't a big wine swiller, get this stuff as it will keep a couple weeks.  After having recently viewed Julie and Julia, I knew Julia Child knew her shit so who am I to argue?

I found my bottle at Bev' Mo after having stopped at a couple different local groceries.  They're available in 375 or 750 mL bottles for less than $10 each.


0 comments: