Pages

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Hershey's Best Brownies


Mmm, soft chewy brownie with crispity crisp top -- love it!

I can't remember where I came upon this recipe which prompted me to make them for the first time over a year ago, but I whipped the recipe out from the files. Rodney had recently put together a "dessert wishlist" of sorts and brownies with ice cream was on the list. It was a little surprising that brownies were on the list since they give Rodney heartburn. Maybe it was this recipe that was heartburn inducing. Regardless I made these again. I liked them. They're yummy.

Hershey's Best Brownies

1 c (2 sticks) butter or margarine
2 c sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs
3/4 c HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 c chopped nuts (optional)

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

Place butter in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until melted.


Stir in sugar and vanilla.


Add eggs, one at a time, beating well with spoon after each addition.


Add cocoa; beat until well blended.

Add flour, baking powder and salt; beat well.


Stir in nuts, if desired.


Pour batter into prepared pan.


Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.


Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Frost if desired. Cut into bars. About 36 brownies.

Deelicious! Even without ice cream. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started using this recipe way back like 20 yrs it was in one of those small pamphlets that used to come with the cocoa can. Originally it was for a brownie pie to be used with ice cream and chocolate syrup. I doubled the ingredients to put in a 13x9 pan which is what this recipe is. Well i decided to copy the recipe on a card and threw away the tattered recipe. Since then it has been brownie mush! Could not figure what was missing and now i do. I even looked on the Hershey's site and the recipe is no where on there? I have never told anyone "MY" brownie recipe lol.. even told my 22 yr old son that he is not getting the recipe until he is married in May and to keep it secret. I bake it but when it cools down i give it my personal touch and sprinkle with confectionery sugar, in fact my boys won't eat it until i do that or it isn't complete. they don't last more than a day, maybe day and half? goes quick with boys around, yup the older one a man but no such thing when it comes to brownies. I also started using the dark chocolate since that is my favorite type and was happy to see them do that now. Well took all this time to finally find this so I am so happy that you posted this..but tonight we will be eating brownie mush, well the one son anyhow, I would need ice cream to do that with this batch lol..and all this time i thought it was i changed pans recently, yup the pan is about 50 yrs old (was my mom's) has pin holes in it and had to retire it from brownie baking..lol nothing went to waste tho ;) THANKS! @~%~~~~

The Cook said...

Wow, Gypsie, your comment blew me away! I had thought I was just providing some info; it didn't occur to me someone would be looking for a recipe they'd used for 20 years. Lol! I'm so happy this fixed your brownie mush problems. What was it that was the difference between the expected results and the mush?