Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Parmesan Orzo


Looks like rice, but it's pasta.  Tricky on the eyes as well as the palate.

I needed something quick to accompany the Honey-Soy Glazed Drumsticks we're having for dinner.  I bought a container of orzo a long while ago and since I've been on a kick to use what we have in-house, hunted for an appealing recipe.  I came across one posted by Sweet Bird posted on From Whence the Sweet Bird Sang.

When I made Sweet Bird's recipe, I didn't change a thing except replacing fresh basil with dry as I had none fresh, which is a shame.  Click the link to see Sweet Bird's recipe and beautiful images.


2 tablespoons butter
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup orzo
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 tsp dry basil
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated

Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.

Add chopped onion, cook until softened.


Add orzo, allow to brown, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add minced garlic, cook an additional minute.


Add chicken stock and dry basil; allow to come to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer.


Cover, simmer for 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.


Fold in Parmesan.


And serve.


Cheesy flavor explosion!  And it was funny eating it -- orzo looks so like rice that each bite was nearly shocking when the texture was recognizably pasta.  That's awesome!  Lactose-intolerant Rodney was just excited about eating something with more than a little sprinkle of cheese. 

Cost:
Unfortunately, I only have an estimate: $5.  I bought the orzo so long ago that I can't be certain what it cost, but I imagine it wasn't too much.  The cheese might have been a bit.

I'll be making this again in the future and eventually will have to buy more orzo.  I'll be sure to update, comment or repost then.


0 comments: