Pages

Monday, December 14, 2009

Alaska Baked Salmon with Pecan Crunch Coating


This Alaska Baked Salmon with Pecan Crunch Coating coupled with Homestyle Brown Rice Pilaf was served for dinner tonight.

Why they call this Alaska Baked Salmon, I don't know.  What I can tell you is that I went with it because it's salmon with nuts on it.  And I thought it would go well with the Homestyle Brown Rice Pilaf I wanted to try.

I found the recipe below on allrecipes.com when I was browsing for interesting new recipes.  Particularly those with salmon.  The nut part drew me in.

Alaska Baked Salmon with Pecan Crunch Coating

1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp butter, melted
1 3/4 tsp honey
2 tbsp and 2 tsp fresh seasoned bread crumbs
2 tbsp and 2 tsp finely chopped pecans
1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
2 (4 oz) fillets salmon
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). In a small bowl, mix together the mustard, butter, and honey.


In another bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, pecans, and parsley.


Season each salmon fillet with salt and pepper. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush with mustard-honey mixture.


Cover the top of each fillet with bread crumb mixture.


Bake for 10 minutes per inch of thickness, measured at thickest part, or until salmon just flakes when tested with a fork.



I wasn't sure that I'd like this recipe too much since nuts, in my opinion, belong only in carrot cakes, cookies or brownies.  Or pie.  Or muffins.  Rodney, I thought, would LOVE this recipe as he enjoys eating nuts by the handful.  As it was, we both thought this would be worthy of repeat, but it didn't rank as high as the Balsamic Olive Salmon; Rodney didn't rank this recipe as high as the Balsamic Olive Salmon or the Salmon Muniere.

Maybe I should host a salmon sampler night of sorts, where I prepare a fillet of each for us to sample. OK, who am I kidding...I won't do that.  That would be a LOT of prep and that goes directly against my grain.

Ultimately, this will be in the rotation of go-to salmon dishes, since we typically have the stuff to prepare it, though fresh parsley is a rarity.  I'm sure dry parsley will work.  After all, seasoned bread crumbs seemed to substitute for fresh bread crumbs just fine. 

Cost:
  • salmon: $5.28
  • parsley: $0.49/bunch
Let's round it up to $6.50 to include estimated cost of everything else, like nuts.  That makes each serving $3.25.  Not bad for a salmon dish, eh?


0 comments: