Pages

Monday, December 21, 2009

Chicken to the Last Drop

Hot soup and crusty French bread.

When I made Alton Brown's Bird to the Last Drop soup, I mentioned that it would probably be good with chicken.  So, I gave it a spin.  Because the chicken frame would fit in my Dutch oven, I didn't bother to use the giant stock pot.  And since I thought it could use more rice last time, I increased the quantity from 1/2 to 1 1/2.

Chicken to the Last Drop
adapted from Alton Brown's Bird to the Last Drop

2 qts water
3 tbsp Better Than Bouillon Vegetable stock
1/2 roast chicken
1 16-oz bag frozen mixed vegetables
1 1/2 c rice
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
2 tsp dried thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste

Separate meat from chicken bones.


Combine the water, stock concentrate and turkey carcass in a Dutch oven over low heat and bring to a simmer.


Cover and simmer for an hour.

Shoot!  I forgot to add the stock concentrate earlier, so put it in once the hour was up.
 
Add the remaining ingredients to the stock including the meat and mix it all together. Cover and simmer for an additional 20 minutes.


Remove the bones before serving. Return whatever meat you remove from the bones to the Dutch oven.



Sure enough, the soup is good with chicken!  I'll be making this quite regularly.  The additional rice was fantastic.  Next time, I'll try it with frames and backs leftover from cut-up birds and see how that works out.

Cost:
  • chicken: $3.69
  • frozen mixed vegetables: $1.69
Total: $5.38.  Not too bad, about $0.90 a serving.


0 comments: