Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Roasted Broccoli with Lemon


Roasted Broccoli with Lemon now known by Rodney as "hairy broccoli".

Searching for broccoli recipes a week or so back, I kept this recipe in mind.  Really, it stuck in my mind -- who could forget roasted broccoli? I'd never heard of such a thing!  After my last attempt at broccoli came out too salty due to my heavy-handed-I-wanna-be-like-Alton-Brown moves, this recipe moved right up to the front of the broccoli-recipes-I'd-like-to-try line.  Which was easy, since there were only the two.

Anyway, I liked the sounds of this one as it is roasted broccoli and the salt quantity was identified, and as it seemed a reasonable amount, was set in stone as far as I was concerned.

The original recipe can be found on a site called Cooking On The Side, which consists of recipes found on the sides of packages!  How genius is that?  If I'd known about blogging back in the early/mid-to-late/mid '90's, I'd have had this idea first, I swear.  Back then I lived off of the recipes on the sides of packages.  That is where I got my first lasagna recipe and is still the one I use regularly, though it has gradually changed a bit over time.  But then again, I was working two full-time jobs or up to 80 hours/week at one job so I didn't have time to read blogs nevermind having one of my own.

The only thing I did differently from the original recipe was to use a fresh broccoli crown as I couldn't find fresh broccoli in a 14 oz bag.  Does that mean it's fresh frozen and I should've used the fresh but frozen and then thawed broccoli?  I dunno.  And because I was afraid my oil:broccoli ratio would be too little on the oil side, I sprayed the baking sheet with olive oil.   

You know how this works: click the link below to get directly to the original recipe at the site where I first found it, click the Cooking On The Side link above to find what is the latest there, or keep reading to see what I did.

Roasted Broccoli with Lemon

2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1.5 lb fresh broccoli crown(s), cleaned and trimmed

Preheat oven to 400°F.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine oil, salt, pepper and lemon zest.


Whisk until salt has dissolved.


Add broccoli florets and stir until thoroughly coated with oil mixture.


Pour out onto baking sheet lightly greased with olive oil -- as if sprayed from a Misto.


Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until broccoli is cooked and edges are slightly browned.


Serve immediately.


While I liked the roasted broccoli, Rodney thought it was "hairy".  I think I see what he means, since each little flowerette on each florette is distinctive due to roasting and thus the texture could be viewed as hairy.  I didn't think so and I'm usually the one who is anal about texture. 

As for the lemon and salt and pepper and oil ratios, everything was great.  I do believe that my quantity of broccoli florettes was a bit on the heavy side.  I thought the stalk would've weighed more, but I don't have a scale (in the kitchen or the bathroom) and can only guess that the broccoli florettes were more than 14 oz.

It'll be a while before we have broccoli again.  Rodney decided that his sickness of broccoli has been renewed.  I'll give it a month or so and try broccoli out again.

Cost:
  • broccoli crowns: $1.64
  • lemon: $0.32
Total: $1.96.  Let's round up to $3 to generously include oil, salt and pepper. That makes each serving about $0.75 or $1 depending on whether you get 3 or 2, respectively.  


0 comments: