Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

Salmon Muniere...take two


My second take on Salmon Muniere with artichoke hearts and olives accompanied by mashed potatoes and asparagus.

The first and only time I prepared this recipe, I had an issue with it.  The salmon sauce turned out way too salty for me, though Rodney thought it was fantastic, and it wasn't exactly what I'd call saucy.  I did inadvertantly skip a step last time, so made it a point to rewrite the list of ingredients so I'd be sure to include that missing "whisk in butter" step this time around and omitted the "dash of salt".  Also, I ground my peppercorns instead of using whole ones.  While I like peppercorns and could eat a dish of them as a snack, Rodney doesn't and won't.

The link below will take you to my first try, which has the link to the original recipe at Kitchen M.

Salmon Muniere with Artichokes and Olives, revised

Flour (for dusting)
2 fresh salmon fillets
2 tbsp pine nuts
4-6 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
2/3 c marinated artichoke hearts, drained, cut in chunks
8-10 kalamata olives
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
course-ground pepper
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 c Noilly Prat
Butter (for cooking the fish)

Coat the salmon fillets with flour. Set a side.

In a medium-large skillet, toast pine nuts over medium high heat.


Reduce heat to medium and add 1 tbsp butter, artichoke hearts, olives, and garlic.


Stir well; after cooking for a few minutes, add pepper.


Add lemon juice and white wine and simmer until the liquid is almost completely gone.


Reduce the heat to very low and whisk in butter.


Heat 1-2 tbsp of butter in another large skillet, saute floured salmon fillets for a few minutes on both sides or until it creates crispy surfaces.

Serve warm with artichoke & olive sauce.


Ah! So much better this time, when the sauce was actually somewhat saucy and so much less salty!  Rodney believed this was just as good, if not better, than last time!  Personally though, I'm over this recipe and it's likely I won't go it again.  It's good, but it's not all that.  Ah, what the hell, maybe I'll give it another go 'round.


0 comments: