Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Candied Carrots


Fancy-ish whole-roasted candied carrots.

I'm fairly certain I found this recipe while browsing Tastespotting.  Because it looked so simple, I thought I'd give it a whirl.  I did dumb it down a bit, omitting stuff I didn't think we'd like, so go ahead and click the link below to get to the original recipe.  It won't hurt my feelings.

Candied Carrots

1 lb carrots
1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Line a small baking sheet with foil and drizzle foil with the oil. Add the carrots, turning them to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn to coat the carrots.


Bake carrots for 30 minutes or until the carrots are fork-tender.


Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Swirl the pan around and cook until the butter begins to become brown and nutty. Add the brown sugar and continue to cook 2 minutes or until syrupy.  Or boiling.


Remove the carrots from the oven and plate. Drizzle the brown butter over the carrots and serve.


While the carrots were pretty good, they weren't above average if the typical way we have glazed carrots is the medium.  I liked how there was no carrot cutting involved, however, the length of time to prepare these were a little over the top.  I guess it might be different if you had a slew of people to make carrots for. As it was, the carrots were just for Rodney and me.  You never know, I might try these again, following the original recipe.  After all, I didn't use a bunch of young carrots and I skipped the cumin due to our cumin chicken disaster

Cost:
  • carrots: $0.75
  • everything else?  Let's say: $1
Total: $1.75 or $0.88 per serving.


We had our candied carrots with Crash Hot Potatoes and Meatloaf with Bacon in an 8x8.


0 comments: