Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Food plan, 011710

This weekend my nephew spent the night Saturday and I delivered him home to his dad Sunday afternoon after the typical brunch of pancakes (in the shape of Mickey Mouse's head), bacon and scrambled eggs with cheese.

When I returned home, I was beat. Any idea of going to the grocery store(s) was not a good one in my opinion. It turns out that would work well anyway as I'm a food pack-rat. The freezer was already full of stuff and we still had a bunch of vegetables left from the week before.

I decided to take freezer inventory and, get this, make meals from what we already have. And that's nice since I got my first AmEx bill and found I'd charged over $1000 in the past month!

My freezer holds:
  • salmon fillet (1)
  • chicken parts (1)
  • mozzarella cheese (6 ea)
  • pork rib parts (1 gal)
  • chicken wings (2)(4)(2)
  • whole chicken legs (2)
  • chicken backs (1 ea)
  • boneless beef chuck roast (3.5 lb)
  • boneless skinless chicken breasts (2)(2)(2)(2)(2)
  • beef "shingles" (1)(1)
The code: parenthases indicate a bag, the number indicates how many in a bag. So according to my code, I have 5 frozen bags of chicken breasts, each containing two boobs. The mozzarella though means 6 bags; the chuck roast is one package of 3.5 lb roast. The beef shingles are ground beef in ~1lb quantities, flattened to form a "shingle" before freezing. They fit in the freezer better than a ball of beef and are much quicker to thaw.

You think we have enough flesh to bring us through Sunday? I was worried for a second, but I think we'll make it.

This week is going to be me making the most of what we have. This might be fun!

0 comments: