Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Mondi's Super Simple Chicken


Crispy-skinned baked chicken breast, seasoned with butter, garlic salt and basil.

A long time ago, before I started this blog, I came across this chicken recipe and saved it. I'm not sure why I didn't prepare the recipe back then, but figured now's a good time to give it a spin.

I changed a couple things: cut the recipe in half and made a butter mixture instead of dotting butter on breasts and sprinkling the seasonings on.

Mondi's Super Simple Chicken

2 bone-in chicken breast halves, with skin
2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp garlic salt

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Place chicken breasts in a lightly greased 7x11" baking dish or roasting pan.

In a small bowl, mix softened butter, basil and garlic salt.
 

Brush bottoms and tops of each breast with herbed butter mixture.
 

Bake approximately 1 to 1 1/4 hours.


Allow chicken to stand about 10 minutes before serving.


This chicken smelled so good while it baked and turned out much better than I'd expected.  I thought it would be on the bland side, but it was nicely seasoned (basil is always great, isn't it?) and the skin came out nice and crispy.  Rodney and I both liked it.  I'd bet money this would be good on a whole bird, which I will make a point to try, especially since cooking time is almost as long for a whole bird anyhow.  If you're not big into eating skin, I'd stuff the herbed butter under the skin and bake.

Cost:
  • chicken: $2
  • everything else, let's guess is $0.50
Total: $2.50 or $1.25 a serving.


Dinner tonight: Mondi's Super Simple Chicken, Bourbon-Glazed Carrots and Baked Potato Fans.


0 comments: