Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

Cast Iron Skillet Cleaning

My cast iron skillet has been dirty since...well, let's not talk about how long it's been. I'm going to need it in a couple of days, so I'm set to clean it up now. Hopefully it'll go easier than when I seasoned it the first time.

I filled that dirty skillet about half-way with water and set it on a burner over medium-high heat and let the water boil a few minutes.


I poured off the water and scraped out the big chunkies with a spatula. The skillet was returned to the stove-top just long enough for the water to evaporate.

I added course sea salt, about 3 tablespoons, and used pinching paper towel in tongs, scrubbed at the skillet using the salt as an abrasive. Once the salt was dirty and visibly brown, I dumped the it out.


Seeing that the surface was indeed clean of any food residue, I wiped the entire skillet including the handle with a teaspoon of vegetable oil.


The skillet was then reheated over medium on the stovetop until the oil was dry.


Cast iron skillet ready to use in about 20 minutes!


2 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks! This was really helpful. Any tips on cleaning stainless steel pots and pans? Mine are getting gross!

The Cook said...

Sorry, Laura, I have no experience with stainless pots and pans when it comes to cleaning or cooking. Thus far I've avoided them as reviews lead me to believe they are too finicky for someone like me.

I have heard there are cleaners out there specifically for stainless cookware. Maybe Bar Keepers or Bon Ami?

Good luck!