Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

Chicken Chilaquiles

Hot Chicken Chilaquiles straight from the oven.

You know those tacos I made the other day, the chilaquiles-spiced chicken soft tacos? I decided to make the recipe in it's entirety since the tacos were so freaking good.  Well, I wanted to make it anyway, but couldn't wait to try it ASAP.

The original recipe (click below) says to use three thighs and the whole thing will make a 4x4 dish. Well, that would only be enough for Rodney. I doubled everything planning for an 8x8 dish except the thighs (I used 8), and the cheese (kept the Mexican-blend to one cup and omitted the queso fresco entirely minding Rodney's lactose intolerance). While the red salsa was supposed to be mild and the green medium, I had vice versa.

Chicken Chilaquiles
adapted from The Noshery

8 chicken thighs, skinless bone-in
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 tbsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp coriander
2 tsp course salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 c onions, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 c roma tomato, diced, about 5 tomatoes
2 c medium red salsa
1 c mild green salsa
1/2 c cilantro, chopped lime, juiced
8 c tortilla chips, about 6 ounces, divided
1 c Mexican blend cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place chicken thighs in a medium sized bowl, drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil.


Season the chicken with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Give the chicken a good rub and season evenly.


In a hot dutch oven heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil at a medium high heat. Add onions and garlic to the pot, cook for a few minutes until onions and garlic begin to become translucent. Or in my case, brown. I didn't measure my oil and was likely short.


Add seasoned chicken to the pot, brown evenly on all sides, about 5 – 7 minutes.


Once the chicken is browned add the diced tomatoes, salsas, cilantro and lime juice.


Stir and bring to a simmer, once it comes to a simmer lower heat to medium and cover. Cook for about 20 minutes.


Transfer chicken to plate. Remove bones and using two forks or heat-tolerant fingers, shred the chicken.


Return shredded chicken to pot and reheat.

Looking at this load of chicken mixture, I realized the 4x4 was a typo in the original recipe and it would've made an 8x8.  Whoops, I should've realized that sooner -- who makes anything in a 4x4?  Can you even buy a 4x4?  Isn't that just a big ramekin?  Doh!

In a 9x13 baking dish, layer of half of the tortilla chips, half of the chicken, followed by 1/2 cup of cheese and repeat.
 

Bake in 350°F oven for 20 minutes.

Serve immediately.
Chicken Chilaquiles and Mexican Rice


This chicken dish was superb.  It was spicy, but not over-the- top, and the chips, I couldn't believe it, were still crispy. Rodney and I both scarfed on it and the Mexican Rice until we were quite satiated. And a little distended. Rodney was a little worried while eating that he'd pay for it later and his worry was warranted.  Poor guy. 

That means the rest of this entire 9x13" dish of chilaquiles is mine! By the end of the week I should have another roll somewhere on my person.  Perhaps another chin?

Will I make this again?  Sure I will, but I'll cut it down to four thighs making an 8x8.  And I'll omit the salt.  I don't know that salt contributed anything but personal water retention since the chips are fairly salty anway.  A big salad beforehand will also be in the picture to moderate Rodney's chilaquiles intake. 

Cost:
  • chicken, uh, let's say $0.79/lb and about 4 lbs: $3.16
  • onion: $0.25
  • tomatoes: $1
  • salsas: $1
  • chips: $0.50
  • cheese: $0.50
Total: $6.41.  I'll round up to $7 to include cost of oil and spices, making each of eight servings about $0.88 each.

........................................................................................
021410
I ate chilaquiles almost every day this past week.  Over time, the chips lost their crisp and became more like a crust reminiscent of tamales under the chicken.  Even that was good!  So far, it doesn't look like I've sprouted a new roll.


0 comments: