Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Garlic Ginger Honey Wings



A plethora of wings in the freezer led me to hunt a recipe for wings. While I've done wings without marinating before that turned out exceptionally well, I wanted to try a different flavor. Finding a wing recipe from Week of Menus was a no-brainer since that's where the spice-rub for the last batch of wings came from.

Garlic Ginger Honey Wings

3 lbs of chicken wings (you can either use drumettes or wings)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c honey
3 tbsp rice vinegar

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix together olive oil, garlic powder, ginger powder, onion powder and salt. Mix well.


Add chicken wings and rub spice mixture all over the wings making sure to coat everything thoroughly.


Line your baking pan with foil (for easier cleanup). Lay chicken wings/drumettes in a single layer on the pan. Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes.


Meanwhile, mix together honey and vinegar. Place this on the stovetop so the oven heat will warm the honey.


Watch chicken carefully after 45 minutes. When the wings are golden and crispy, take the wings out and drizzle honey vinegar mixture over each wing.


Return wings to the oven for an additional 5 minutes or until the honey caramelizes on top.


These wings were ok. They weren't as great as the wings I'd made from Week of Menus' spice rub, but still ok. Part of the problem, I think was the overload I had of wings. I'm not sure how many pounds I had, but enough to cover two 11x15" baking sheets without crowding, which is a lot of wings. Without thinking too hard about it, I'm sure doubling all other ingredients would have been a worthwhile thing to do.  Also I forgot to salt and pepper the chicken upon finish.

In the future I'll also raise the heat on these (Week of Menus' fast cook method?) or put them under the broiler a few minutes to really get the skin crisp. As it was, waiting for the skin to crisp led to some pieces, especially those drumettes with a bit of breast attached, to become overdone.

Cost:

I'm at a loss since the wings were pieces from whole chickens I'd used in a variety of recipes. Like I did before, I'll swag the cost of wings at $0.75/lb and assume I had 4.5 pounds, making it $3.40 for this dinner with a bunch of wings leftover.


0 comments: