Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

Leftover Chili -- Reheated from a Frozen State, part 2


Hot, thawed in the refrigerator and reheated in the microwave, bowl of chili covered in cheese.

One day when I didn't feel like cooking one dang thing and remembered we had chili hiding out in the freezer, I snapped exactly three photos of our leftover chili thawing and reheating process-of-the-day because I remembered I'd posted that I put leftover chili in the freezer for an easy dinner another day. I went on to describe the different ways chili could be thawed and reheated to accompany those images.

To follow up, I decided to expound on the topic a little bit with the Black Bean and Corn Chili I'd recently made, froze, and thought would thaw in time for lunch the next day. Luckily, I took photos. Lucky for who, I don't know, but I've got 'em to share.

Leftover Black Bean and Corn Chili -- thawed and reheated from a frozen state

I transferred a 3-cup plastic dish of chili from the freezer to the fridge, expecting it would thaw by morning, giving me a hearty, homemade meal for lunch at work.


Wrong.

When the chili was still a pretty decent-sized brick this a.m., I left it in the refrigerator to continue thawing over the course of the day.

When I got home and was hungry, that chili bowl looked like it could be thawed completely.


After popping the lid off and giving it a good stir to determine the exact state of the situation, I found that sure enough, it was ready for some heat.


Rodney wasn't in the mood for chili, so I opted for a shortcut: the microwave. But first, I transferred a portion (majority) of the chili to a glass bowl. I don't know that I buy into the dioxin-from-plastic craze of email spam, but why push it? Besides, I wasn't going to eat the entire 3 cups of chili in one sitting, believe it or not.


I nuked the chili bowl (loosely covered with the lid to fit the bowl in order to prevent spatters) for 3:30 minutes on 5 (aka 50%) power stirring at about halfway and again after the microwave beeped.


And sprinkled cheese on it.

And ate it.

And it was good. Maybe not as good as reheating in a saucepan on the stovetop, but still good. What is it about that stovetop that makes chili so good?

It does make me think, since this chili was just aged a couple days in the freezer, that the last batch we'd thawed and reheated was simply old. This chili wasn't lacking in spicy-heat or juiciness.

So take note: chili sitting in the freezer 6 months may lose spicy-heat and juiciness, but slightly aged, days-old chili loses nothing. It isn't any different than day one. If it is, it's not discernable to my simple, non-discerning palate.


0 comments: