Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

New Ingredient: Knorr Caldo de Pollo



I picked up a small box of these bouillon cubes specifically to prepare a new rice recipe. I've never used bouillon cubes before since they are usually loaded with so much junk like monosodium glutamate, "natural flavor" and as much salt manufacturers can squeeze into a batch. Salt is cheap mass and a great filler, so it makes sense for those manufacturers to load everything up with it.

Since the author of the rice recipe specifically said this brand has to be used for this rice, I went with it. I'd hate to botch the rice just because of my hoity-toity attitude about this sort of thing.


A 3.1-ounce 8-pack of cubes was found in the soup/stock/bouillon aisle at my regular grocer for $0.99. At least I didn't have to make a special trip to the supermercado.

For those interested, the ingredients in Knorr Caldo de Pollo are:
Salt, palm oil, monosodium glutamate, hydrolyzed corn protein, hydrogenated beef fat, hydrogenated soybean oil, sugar, cooked chicken meat, yeast extract, corn starch, chicken fat, maltodextrin, natural flavor, dehydrated parsley flakes, disodium inosate, citric acid, caramel color, whey (milk), yellow 5, annatto (for color), yellow 6.

Here's a link to the rice recipe.

0 comments: