Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Oven-Baked Yam Fries, Take 3




The first time I made these, they tasted simply fantastic but some fries were a little burnt.
The second time I made these, I cut the yams so thick and had so many, the fries came out a little mushy.
This time...well, check it out.

Yam Fries

1 giant yam, peeled and cut into french-fry pieces
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper

Preheat oven to 425°F. Line two baking sheets with foil and place them in the oven to get it hot.

Toss cut yams with oil, salt and pepper until all yam surfaces are coated evenly.



Remove hot baking sheets from oven; arrange yam pieces in a single layer.


Return sheets with yams to oven and roast about 12-13 minutes. Flip the yams to allow even browning.


Return yams to oven and continue roasting another 12-15 minutes until they are brown and crispy on the outside.



I cooked the yams in two batches on two separate baking sheets to provide ample room for each fry. It was a hassle and I quickly tired of flipping the skinny fries. The results were worth it. While still not perfect, it was a vast improvement over the last time I tried the fries and the color was better than the first time I made them. Finally, I'm getting somewhere with these crazy fries!

Cost: $0.91 for a 1.15 lb yam


0 comments: