Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Roasted Beet Salad with Spiced Pecans and Champagne Vinaigrette



Keeping an eye peeled for salads in particular, I came across this one from a Cooking Club magazine and, while it looked like a bit of work to get together, looked like it'd be worth it. Rodney and I both like beets. Boston lettuce and watercress would be new to me, and I like trying new things. Making spiced pecans, now that looks like something worth doing!


SALAD
3 small beets
6 c slightly packed torn Boston lettuce
2 c slightly packed watercress

SPICED PECANS
2 tbsp butter or extra-virgin olive oil
1 c pecan halves
2 tbsp packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves

VINAIGRETTE
3 tbsp cranberry juice
2 tbsp champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
6 tbsp walnut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp sliced fresh chives

Heat oven to 375°F. Remove leaves from beets, leaving about 1 inch of stem intact; cut off roots.


Place beets in small baking pan; add enough water to just cover bottom. Cover with foil.


Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until beets are tender when pierced with knife. Cool to room temperature.


Slip off skins under running water; trim stems. Halve and slice. (Beets can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Meanwhile, melt butter in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir pecans 4 to 5 minutes or until toasted.


Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon and cloves; cook and stir until sugar melts.


Spread on parchment paper-lined baking sheet, breaking nuts apart as they cool. (Pecans can be prepared 2 days ahead. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.)


Whisk cranberry juice, vinegar, salt and pepper in small bowl until blended; slowly whisk in oil. Stir in chives. I did put chives in my dressing but forgot to image! (Vinaigrette can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)


Toss lettuce and watercress with enough vinaigrette to lightly coat; place on platter or in shallow bowl. Arrange beets over greens; drizzle lightly with vinaigrette. Top with pecans.

FYI, I didn't dress the entire salad as instructed knowing we wouldn't eat it all in one sitting.  The dressing was added per serving so any leftover salad would not be soggy.


Just as I thought, this was quite a bit of effort for salad.  I'll make it a point to prep materials in advance next time to make it easier on the night we actually eat it.    

Eating it was a delight!  I really enjoyed the flavors and the spiced pecans were like candy!  (Rodney ate whatever nuts remained for a snack a couple days later.) While I always like beets, I couldn't tell the difference between these and other fresh beets I've prepared by steaming in the microwave.  If you opt to do this, know that the skins do peel right off under running water.  I was impressed.

The Butter Lettuce (similar to Boston) I used was so delicate I almost felt bad for eating it.  The watercress was delicious!  Never having had it previously, I was quite surprised by the peppery-flavor it added.  I could eat plain watercress by the handful. I do like pepper, quite a lot.

While simple in appearance, this salad packed a punch, absolutely worth repeating.  Next time, I'll double the amount of pecans I prepare just because they were so good.  When they were doing their thing on the stove, it reminded me of Christmas they smelled so wonderful.

Cost:
  • beets: $1.69
  • butter lettuce: $2.59
  • watercress: $1.49
  • chives: $1.29
  • SWAG additional ingredients: $1
Total: $8.06 or about $2 per each of 4 servings.


0 comments: