Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Winter Fruit Salad with Parmesan Puff Pastry Croutons


Somewhere in this serving of salad are figs, cranberries, apples and pears beneath the puff-pastry croutons and dressed lettuces.

Here's a recipe from my Cooking Club magazine.  Limiting myself to the magazines from this time of year led me to try this one, though I had reservations.

Winter Fruit Salad with Parmesan Puff Pastry Croutons

1 sheet frozen puff pastry (from 17.3-oz. pkg.), thawed
1 egg yolk, beaten
1/2 c shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp pepper
3 tbsp pomegranate, cranberry or orange juice
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp honey mustard
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
8 c slightly packed mixed salad greens
1 small Gala or Braeburn apple, unpeeled, thinly sliced
1 small Red Bartlett pear, unpeeled, thinly sliced
1/2 c dried figs, preferably Calimyrna, quartered
1/2 c dried cranberries

Heat oven to 400°F.

Roll puff pastry into 12x11"-ish rectangle and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet.


Brush with egg yolk; sprinkle with cheese and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.


Cut into about 1-inch squares.

I used a pizza cutter to accomplish this task.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown and puffed. Cool on baking sheet on wire rack.

Croutons can be made 1 day ahead. Store at room temperature in an airtight container. If they lose their crispness, reheat at 350°F. for 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp.

Whisk juice, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, and oil in small bowl until blended.

Dressing can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.

Toss greens in large bowl with enough dressing to lightly coat; place on large platter or in shallow bowl. Top with all remaining salad ingredients; drizzle lightly with dressing.

Top with croutons.



I wasn't too sure that Rodney would like apples and pears in salad, especially the pears since he said previously their gritty quality is something to be desired, but it turns out he thought this salad was great! The figs and cranberries he didn't care for.  I wasn't too sure that I'd like salad with apples and pears in it just because it seems fruit be separate from vegetables.  Yeah, I'm like that.  However, I liked it, especially the figs though it was annoying that they and the cranberries just rolled to the bottom of the bowl.

The puff pastry croutons were really good. I wasn't sure that I'd like a puffy crouton, but they sort of grew on me. I really liked the pepper on the croutons, but that doesn't say much as I'll eat dirt if it has pepper on it.  Rodney adored the croutons.

Cost:

  • puff pastry: $2.50
  • egg yolk $0.18
  • Parmesan cheese: $0.75
  • salad greens: $2.50
  • apple: $0.41
  • pear: $0.64
  • figs: $0.80
  • cranberries: $0.25
Total: $8.03, making each of four servings about $2. For salad, that seems crazy, but it's worth it. 


0 comments: