Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Amarillos, aka Maduros, aka Sauteed Ripe Plantains


When I was in Puerto Rico, I tasted plenty of plantains in various forms, primarily as tostones and mofongo. Neither impressed me too much (until I had good mofongo rellenos anyway). Amarillos, though, rocked my socks off. I loved them and found it unimaginable that they were the same non-banana that is used for the, uh, drier plantain recipes.

The key, according to Rodney's uncle's girlfriend was to wait until the plantain is black and fully ripe. Then it's just a matter of peeling, slicing, and frying for a few minutes. Say what? That's it? That's all that's to making these bits of yellow-brown heaven? Tostones go through a huge ordeal to be a dry cracker-cookie and these are just fried? Do I need to add sugar? She laughed at me.

After returning to CA, I've had the opportunity to try a Cuban place over in Orange and would you believe it? They had amarillos but called them maduros! I was completely tickled!

Finally the time came for me to try making them for myself. After all, when having chicken and rice, one must have amarillos.

Amarillos

1/4 canola oil
2 ripe plantains

Let the plantains become fully ripe, more ripe than this if you have more patience than I do.


Section the plantains into 2-bite pieces, peel the skin off and then slice the pieces lengthwise while the oil heats in a large skillet.


Place plantain pieces in the oil and stir occasionally until nicely browned, about 10-15 minutes.



Deelicious! Well, they could have been allowed to ripen a tad longer. I can't believe they are this easy to make and so quick! Next time I'll be sure to buy plantains in far enough advance so they can really ripen.

Cost:
$2.50 for 2 plantains

0 comments: