Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cast Iron Grill Pan


Shiny, newly-seasoned cast iron grill pan.

I cleaned out my pantry/cookwear-holding sales desk and came across this nasty beast.


About a year ago, I bought this grill pan from Tuesday Morning. I seasoned it according to the manufacturer's directions, didn't do a very good job of it thinking that a lot of oil was necessary, and proceeded to use it for Tandoori Chicken.

I was dissatisfied with having to season the cast iron again, so simply washed it in soap and water and stuck it where I wouldn't set eyes on it again -- until today.

Now that I have a better idea of how to season cast iron, I figured I may as well do it.

Into a sink of hot, soapy water that grill pan went. I scrubbed it clean with a wire brush.

Once washed and rinsed well, the cast iron was placed over a burner with medium flame to dry.


While still hot, I poured a little too much vegetable oil on top. Last time, when I did this, it was with a skillet and paper towel worked well to smear the oil around. This time, I used a brush to work the oil into the crevices and then all over the back side.


Then I put the cast iron in the oven, thinking I'd bake it later on. And I forgot about it for 2 days until tonight when I preheated the oven for dinner. The oven was stinky but I figured I must've spilled or dropped something in there that would burn off eventually and ignored it.

Soon enough I found it in there and that baby was beautiful! I can't wait to try it out.

0 comments: