Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Herbed-with-Parsley-and-Basil Red Potatoes



Having nothing planned to go with the chicken for dinner, I decided on having mashed potatoes and then realized I didn't have milk except vanilla-flavored soy milk. Um, no, not gonna do mashed potatoes with vanilla soy.

So I scrolled through the potatoes labels of the blog (scroll down and you'll find it there on the right-hand side past the blog archive) and found Herbed New Potatoes. While fitting, I didn't have new potatoes, but big red ones instead. I went with it anyway, quartering the potatoes and steaming them. Click the link below to see how it went for me last time.

Herbed New Potatoes

2 lbs red potatoes, scrubbed, quartered
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
6 tbsp mixed chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley, dill, and chives) I used parsley and basil

Steam potatoes until tender, about 9 minutes. My giant red potatoes required much longer steaming time.

Heat oil and butter in large skillet over medium-high heat.


Add garlic and stir 30 seconds.


Add potatoes and herbs.


Sauté until potatoes are heated through and golden, about 8 minutes.


These were not as good as they were the first/last time I made them, back in August (was it that long ago?). The biggest problem was the red potatoes. They weren't small new potatoes but big regular potatoes with red skin. That meant they took a long time to steam and the outer portions of the quarters were very cooked while the interiors were just tender especially since I didn't take their size into consideration. I should've cut these into equal sixths.

Cost:

  • potatoes: $1.19
  • fresh parsley and basil: $0.60
Total: $1.79. For each of four servings: $0.45.

Next time, new potatoes. Or regular red potatoes in sixths. No question.


0 comments: