Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Roast Chicken with Herb Butter


Showing a little leg from an adaptation of Bittman's Roast Chicken with Herb Butter.

Originally, this chicken was destined for a pesto romance.  But I forgot the pesto. 

After having tried Garlic Butter Roast Chicken from Cooking Pleasures and finding some dissatisfaction with the recipe, I chose this recipe from Bittman's How to Cook Everything as a comparison. Both use an herbed butter, but slightly different technique.

I did change Bittman's recipe to save myself some effort, which may have been the downfall, for which I have a rationale.

Roast Chicken with Herb Butter
adapted from How to Cook Everything, Mark Bittman

4 tbsp butter
1 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped
salt
pepper
whole chicken, 4-lb, trimmed of excess fat, rinsed and patted dry

Preheat the oven to 450°F. Mash the butter with parsley, salt, and pepper.

Loosen the skin of the chicken and spread some of the butter mixture between the skin and meat, on the breast and in the cavity of the bird.


Sprinkle exterior of the bird with additional salt and pepper.


Place the chicken breast side down on a rack in a pan.


Roast for about 20 minutes and turn the breast side up.


Turn the heat down to 325°F and roast until internal temperature reaches 160-165°F.

Allow chicken to rest 10 minutes before carving.



The breast skin wasn't done quite as much as I'd have liked.  And that could be my fault for I skipped all the basting Bittman called for.  My rationale? Alton Brown was in my head, saying a dry skin makes a crisp skin. So what do I do?  Try this recipe again except do it just like Mark Bittman suggests?  Um, yeah, it looks like it's the only fair thing to do.

Tastewise, the breasts were good, the thighs were good and the drums, including the skin, were good.  At least all was not lost.

Cost:
  • whole chicken: $3
  • Italian parsley: $0.20
  • butter: $0.85
Total: $4.05.  That makes each of four servings $1.01.


0 comments: