Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Shrimp "Marinara" with Pasta


Shrimp, pasta, garlic and fresh basil is sure to be a winner!

Since I went running yesterday (for the first time since high school, about 1,438.2 years ago), I didn't make a food plan or grocery list. We're going off of what we have in the freezer and fridge. I relied on my new-to-me How to Cook Everything cookbook scored from Book-Off recently for a mere $2. Yep, I'm bragging though I don't have a clear idea yet whether this cookbook is good for us or not.

Anyway, I flipped through the book and came across this recipe:

Shrimp "Marinara" with Pasta
How to Cook Everything, Mark Bittman

2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp garlic, minced
28-oz canned tomatoes with their liquid
1/2 c fresh basil, chopped
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
salt
1 lb medium shrimp, peeled, rinsed and dried

Heat oil over medium-low heat for 1 minute.


Add garlic and cook, stirring once or twice, until golden, 3-4 minutes.


Add tomatoes, raise heat to medium-high and let bubble, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.


Add half the basil, oregano, pepper, and salt.


Stir and taste for seasoning. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer while you cook pasta.


When you're ready to eat, add shrimp to the sauce; cook until shrimp are firm and pink, about 5 minutes.


Toss sauce with pasta; top with remaining basil and serve.



This was just as I'd expected: tasty. The pasta was perfectly cooked, which went well with the slightly over-cooked sauce. While I don't care for wet sauces and try to dry them out intentionally, this was a just slightly on the dry for me. Next time, I'll be sure to start the pasta sooner or shorten the simmering time. The shrimp were very good, but could probably stand a little seasoning before they go into the tomato mixture. Rodney didn't eat any since it was so late.

Outside of the time to thaw, peel and devein the shrimp, this dish was done in about 30 minutes. Another plus!

Cost:

  • shrimp: $3.50
  • tomatoes: uh, $1.50
  • basil: $0.60
Total: $5.60 or $1.40 for each of four servings.


0 comments: