Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Chesapeake Bay Crab Cakes with Herbed Tartar Sauce



This is a recipe I'd typically skip right over (and have repeatedly) as too difficult and much too fru-fru. In an attempt to go against my grain, I made it a point to bite the bullet and just do it. When I saw the original recipe would make exactly four cakes to serve two people I laughed. Four cakes is two servings? I could just imagine Rodney's face if I tried to pull that trick on him.

I doubled the recipe for the cakes (except the bell pepper) but kept the tartar sauce part the same. I considered cutting the sauce in half, but didn't want to risk the possibility of Rodney licking the bowl and asking for more.

How about this: keep reading to see what I did or click the link below to see the original recipe.


3/4 c mayonnaise, divided
4 tbsp finely chopped red bell pepper, divided
7 tbsp finely chopped green onions, divided
1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
1 tbsp white wine vinegar (preferably tarragon-flavored)
1 1/2 tsp seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
1 1/2 c panko or unseasoned dry bread crumbs, divided*
1 (6-oz.) canned lump crabmeat, drained**
1 (6-oz.) canned crabmeat, drained
2 tbsp vegetable oil

In small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup of the mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon of the red bell pepper, 1 tablespoon of the green onions, tarragon and vinegar. Refrigerate at least 10 minutes to blend flavors.


In large bowl, stir together remaining 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons bell pepper, 6 tablespoons green onions, seafood seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and half of the bread crumbs.


Gently stir in crabmeat.


Spread remaining bread crumbs on plate.

Divide crab mixture into 8 parts; form each into 1/2-inch-thick patty. (Crab cakes will be loosely packed.)


Carefully dredge crab cakes in bread crumbs to coat completely; place in single layer on another plate. Refrigerate at least 10 minutes to help cakes keep their shape.


Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add crab cakes; cook 10 to 12 minutes or until rich golden brown on both sides.


Serve with herbed tartar sauce.


Preparing these weren't as difficult as I'd always imagined crab cakes would be. Just mix stuff together, ball it, smash it, dredge it, chill it and fry it. Done. I didn't even take care to gently mix the crab meat in, I just mixed with my spatula as if I were making brownies.

The crab cakes were much better than I'd anticipated. Simple and tasty. Rodney didn't care for how "bell peppery" the cakes were, but I loved their prominence. Neither of us ate too much of the sauce, though it tasted ok. As it was, there was enough to easily cover each crab cake. I could've easily quartered the tartar sauce recipe and we wouldn't have been disappointed.

Next time, and there will be a next time, I'll cut the bell pepper by another half and quarter the sauce. Easy enough.

Cost:
  • red bell pepper: $0.80
  • green onions: $0.33
  • fresh tarragon: $1.29
  • lump crab meat: $5.49
  • crab meat: $3.49
Total: $11.40 or $2.85 for each of four servings.  Rodney had two servings in one sitting with no problem.  If he didn't think the bell pepper was too much, he could've easily eaten another one or two cakes. As it is, I have lunch for tomorrow!

........................................................................................
040710
The two leftover crab cakes were actually better than I'd expected when I had them for lunch.  I didn't bother reheating them, but ate them cold.  Surprisingly, they weren't greasy at all and the flavors were even better as they seemed to have combined and mellowed. 

0 comments: