Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Korean Chili Paste Spicy Chicken Thighs

Spicy Korean-style marinated boneless chicken thighs hot off the stove-top grill pan!

When I came across this recipe, I was a little put off due to the grilling requirement.  Then I remembered I have a grill pan!
Korean Chili Paste Spicy Chicken Thighs
adapted from Week of Menus

3 lbs boneless, skinless thighs
1/4 c Korean chili pepper paste (gochujahng)
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp water
1/4 c + 2 tbsp white sugar
2 tbsp rice wine
1/2 c onion, finely chopped (done in a mini prep chopper is perfect)
3 tsp ginger powder (I was out of fresh ginger)
2 tbsp garlic

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients but chicken together until sugar is completely dissolved.


Stir the chicken into the marinade, ensuring each chicken piece is thoroughly coated and well mixed with the marinade. Cover and marinate overnight.

Allow chicken to close to room temperature and give the entire mixture a good stir.


Place cast iron grill pan over two burners and heat until hot.


Place marinated chicken thighs in batches on the hot grill pan. Rotate chicken 180 degrees after 6 minutes. Allow chicken to continue cooking additional six minutes before flipping.



After 4-5 minutes, check thighs for doneness; remove finished pieces from the grill pan.

Continue adding thighs to the grill pan and cooking until all thighs are finished.

Then serve up the thighs with steamed white rice. Kimchis of various types are a perfect vegetable side for this, but if you're not into that, I'm thinking you're crazy broccoli.



Delicious and reminiscent of home, however, it wasn't Mom's!  I'll be certain to try this on thin-cut pork tenderloin in the near future as that's how it's done at Mom's and do tweaks from there. I don't think Joanne would mind.

Rodney loved this and even as I was preparing the marinade, was gushing about how good it smelled.  When it was cooking, I had to shoo Rodney away to prevent saliva from contaminating the chicken. After the chicken was done, I was sure to keep my fingers far from his maw. Rodney wasn't playin'.

Not including marinating time, this took about an hour to prepare the marinade and cook the thighs.

Cost:
  • chicken thighs: $2.97
  • everything else I'll have to SWAG: $3
Total: $6 or $1.50 for each of four servings.  I told you before and I'll tell you again, Rodney's a pig when it comes to good food.  Joanne suggested 6-8 servings!

0 comments: