Pages

Monday, April 12, 2010

Pampered Chef Tools

I don't know if you've noticed, but I tend to use a particular giant spatula scooper sort of thing when I'm stirring batters or cooking anything that requires stirring. It's a neato tool that was gifted to me back in the mid-late '90's when I was working at the meat-packing plant. I've been using that sucker ever since and it still does the job right.

That multi-functional spatula is a Pampered Chef Mix 'n' Scrapes, the biggest one available. What I love about it is that the head is permanently fixed to the handle -- the head will NOT come off the handle. That means no water will get in there. That means no critters, no matter how small, will get in there either so I don't have to worry that I'm transferring critters into the food I'm preparing.

A bonus is the spatula can handle insane heat -- up to 650°F if I remember right. So you can use this thing in a mixing bowl, in a frying pan, on a cast-iron pan straight from the broiler, the whole nine yards, and it won't melt! When you're done, if you have a dishwasher, throw it right in there. It'll be perfectly fine.

How does it hold up to tomato sauces and pastes? Like oil to water, that stuff will not stick or stain. It's absolute perfection!

The downfall is that the spatula did age.  And as it ages, it takes on more and more of a yellow-orange color.  While still perfectly functional, it just doesn't look as adorable as it used to.  I didn't realize how not-adorable it was until now.

Recently a co-worker's neice had a Pampered Chef party and I snagged the opportunity to pick up a couple of things, including two Mix 'n' Scrapes, one of each available size. While I was at it, I got two scoops: 1-tbsp and 2-tbsp. Check 'em out:

Stay tuned and you'll see these putting all of my old equipment to shame.

And if you wanted to know, each of these were about $15 each.  While that may seem pricey for a stupid spatula, realize I've had mine and used it near-daily for over 10 years without fail. No, I'm not being pimped by Pampered Chef.  They have no idea I exist outside of being a very infrequent customer.

0 comments: