Pages

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sweet and Sour Pork Chops



Pork chops were on sale and I wanted to try doing them differently than before without too much hassle or breaking the bank. This recipe from Food Network looked easy enough and so it went into the queue.

Sweet-n-Sour Pork Chops
adapted from Food Network

1 tbsp sesame oil
Salt and ground black pepper
5 (3-oz) boneless pork loin chops
3/4 c apricot preserves
2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
1/4 c chopped scallions

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.


Season pork chops all over with salt and black pepper and add to hot pan. Seeing how thin my chops were, I made it a point to reduce cooking time.


Cook chops 2 minutes per side, until golden brown. Place chops on a loosely-covered plate.


Meanwhile, combine apricot preserves, soy sauce and ginger.


Add preserve mixture to skillet and bring to a simmer.


Add pork and simmer 2 minutes or until pork is cooked through, turning once.


Remove from heat and stir in scallions.



Originally I'd planned on doing a cole slaw accompaniment to the chops and I'm glad I didn't follow through on that plan. These were certainly a "Chinese" flavored dish in which white rice and broccoli worked perfectly.

While sour was not much of a presence, if at all, the sweet wasn't over the top. And this dish was so simple, done in just minutes. Fortunately, I went with my gut regarding cooking time. The chops I purchased were thin, between 1/4-1/2 inch each.

The other five chops from the pack are currently freezing. When I bring them out to thaw, I'll prepare them according to my adaptation. It's good.

Cost:
  • pork chops: $1.90
  • apricot preserves: $2
  • ginger: $0.10
  • scallions: $0.25
Total: $4.25 or $2.13 for each of two servings.



Sweet-n-Sour Pork Chops served with steamed broccoli and steamed white rice. Do this. It's easy!

0 comments: