Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Black and White Bean Chicken Chili


So far this week, I've eaten chicken quesadilla, fish, fish, and eggs with bacon (which were to be a side of bacon alongside an omelet with a tortilla on the side, but wound up a bacon/omelet burrito topped with salsa).  Time for a change, I opted for this chili.

I'd prepared this chili a couple of times.  The first time I made it, I didn't have a plan for dinner and made it only because we had all most of the stuff.  I admit, I was extremely skeptical about how it'd turn out since it was so easy to make.  Man alive, was it good.  The second time I made it, my love for it was confirmed while it convinced Rodney that he was better off not eating it.  Thus, we haven't had it since.  That must've been before I started blogging.

Now that Rodney's in IN/MI, I have no reason not to have some of this yumminess.  I present to you:

from Cooking Club of America

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast halves (or one breast half from a 5-lb chicken), cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 (14.5-oz.) cans cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained, rinsed
3 c lower-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 c frozen corn kernels
1 (7-oz.) can diced green chiles
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Cook chicken, onion and garlic in oil in large pot over medium heat 5-6 minutes or until onion is soft and chicken is no longer pink, stirring frequently.

Add all remaining ingredients. Increase heat to medium-high; bring to a boil.

Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes or until heated through.



Yep, this chili is fast, easy and scrumptious.  I love it.  Though the chicken is white meat, it doesn't come out dry.  The spice ratio is very good where not one is too much.  The green chilis, I'm not sure add too much.  When I made this previously, I used no green chilis, then 4 oz.,  respectively.  This time I used 7 oz. rather than 8 oz (one large can is cheaper than 2 small cans).  Basically, I'm saying that if you need to get dinner on and don't have green chilis, don't feel you need them for this recipe because you don't.

I'll be able to love this chili about 4-5 more times as there are that many servings left.  Thank science for freezers and Pyrex bowls.  The next time you see this chili, it will be in the "how to thaw frozen chili" series. I don't care to get burned out on this as I did the fish. Plus, it will be cool to know how this particular chili holds up in the freezer.

Cost:
  • chicken breast half: $1
  • onion: $1.23
  • beans: $3
  • green chilis: $1.99/7 oz.
Total: $7.22 or about $1.45 for each of five servings.

0 comments: