Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Broiled Yellow Corvina

While no blogger in their right mind would use this image as their headliner, I like to keep it honest and completely real. A hunk of the most forward fish is missing due to my taste-testing. The taste is spot-on.

I came across a recipe for some Korean-Style Roasted Fish and fell in love, head over heels, at first sight. Nearly tasting the fish as I viewed it, remembering my one and only visit to Mom's native South Korea, I had to have some. And so I did that. However I opted to broil than oven-roast. No biggie there.

Korean-Style Roasted Fish
adapted from Week of Menus

salted yellow corvina
sesame oil

Slash fish three times on each side and roast in oven set to broil.


Simple, yes? So I went ahead and picked up some yellow corvina. Four of these packages, to be exact.


Why so many packages of these fish? Because they are small fish. Minus the head and bones, there's not that much there. So I thought.


I slashed each of the fish three times on each side. And then noticed something peculiar. There should be a slit across each belly. But there isn't.


Oh my, good golly Miss Molly, oh Lordy Gordy's 40, these fish have yet to be gutted.

I went ahead and gutted and rinsed one before letting Rodney finish with the remaining eleven fish, allowing them to dry on paper towel.


In groups of four, the fish were placed on foil and drizzled with a couple teaspoons of sesame oil.


The oil was rubbed all over both sides of each fish, the fish placed on the broiler pan and broiled about 10 minutes.



Mmm, just as I had anticipated: salty, delicate, roasted fish! While I had originally thought there would be too little in just a couple of packs of fish, dinner would have been sufficient with only one pack of four fish. They really pack a punch to the palate, especially if you're accustomed to freshwater fish as we are.

Smelling the fish as it roasted and then tasting it actually had me feeling as if I was in Korea, if you can believe that. It had my youth all wrapped up in it, back when Mom cooked a variety of Korean dishes; and having the fish with steamed white rice and kimchi put it over the top. The only thing missing was a seaweed soup. I'm lickin' my chops now thinking of it.

Without a doubt, I'll be roasting some of this fish again, though I'll stick to just one package rather than four.

Cost:

  • salted yellow corvina: $2.49/lb or about $2 a package at HMart
Serves two palates generously.


2 comments:

Laura said...

Did you have any difficulty getting the bones out? That would be my biggest worry...

The Cook said...

Nope, no problems with the bones. However, I say this being accustomed to eating a whole fish and knowing a little about the anatomy. As long as you don't dig into it like you would a steak, you can eat one fillet down to the bone then peel the spine and attached bones from the second fillet in one easy step.