Pages

Friday, July 9, 2010

Los Primos Cantina



Tomorrow early morning being the time and day of his departure, crossing the many states to our home of Michigan on his Buell, Rodney wanted a Mexican dinner send-off. A place called Los Primos had been recommended to Rodney as a healthier equivalent to El Toro Bravo. Healthy Mexican? I was skeptical.

After checking out the menu online via Sporq, I agreed. After all, it is Mexican and I do love Mexican about as much as I love potatoes. And I simply, heart-crushingly, adore potatoes.

So we cruised over to Los Primos, finding it's across the street from the Blockbuster on 17th, arriving about 15 minutes before closing time. I hated when people did that when I worked slinging hash, but closing time isn't until closing time, and Rodney wanted some Mexican before he left CA.

This Los Primos place is located in a strip mall; their front door was wide open and the windows blaring the fact they have tacos, tamales and burritos.


When we came in, it was surprising how sterile everything seemed, including the guy behind the counter. Apparently, he wasn't thrilled about us showing up just a few minutes before closing. While I could feel him on that, I felt too much as if we were intruding. The food was (already) in containers ready for overnight storage (or maybe that's how it always is?) but still in the warmers.

Rodney ordered a two-taco combo of carnitas with rice and beans; I ordered a Burrito Especial with carnitas.

Service was prompt, we were out the door in just a few minutes.

Arriving home, I plopped the bag of dinner on the coffee table. Rodney opened his box of carnitas taco combo and while I was attempting to collect an in-focus image, the dude started eating, scooping beans with chips (supplied from home)!


As that was a lost cause, I looked at my burrito.

My, what a large burrito you have. The better to fatten you with, dear.


By the time I got through nearly half of my burrito and was stuffed, Rodney'd completely demolished his taco combo. Beam me up, Scotty, no signs of life here.



While the food was decent, I can't say Los Primos is any healthier than El Toro Bravo.  However, the environment is much more clean, which may give an illusion of healthier. Yet I can't help but prefer El Toro Bravo.

Dinner for two with half a burrito left for $12.26 OTD.


0 comments: