Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Avila's El Ranchito Burrito Fresco


While I had some leftovers available to eat, primarily Ethiopian Cabbage Dish or lasagna, I really wanted something Mexicano and opted for the nearest location, Avila's el Ranchito. Rodney and I have eaten Avila's a few times; I'd always opted for the carnitas botanas.

This time, after perusing their online menu, I decided upon the Burrito Fresco:
BURRITO FRESCO 9.99
Filled with charbroiled chicken, Frijoles Frescos, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and rice. Fresh guacamole on the side.
It came in this bag:


Opening the bag, I saw there was an aluminum dish covered in plastic, likely my burrito, as well as two paper bags. One of those bags held fresh tortilla chips; the other contained salsas, utensil and napkin.


Removing the plastic cover from the aluminum dish, I saw a pretty big burrito, with lettuce, half a tomato slice, and guacamole on the side.


I ate ate all of the lettuce, tomato and guac next to the burrito as well as half the burrito.



Honestly? This burrito was on the shoddy side for a couple of reasons.

While the burrito was large (a bonus to many folks), it contained way too much white-meat chicken (aka really dry chicken obviously prepared well in advance of going into my burrito), with just slight quantities of pinto beans and shredded lettuce and probably some cheese. If rice was present, it was pretty slim. I didn't see any tomato in the half I ate. It is possible the tomato and rice wound up in the butt end of the burrito? How annoying would that be?

I thought the burrito would be some chicken but mostly beans, rice, lettuce, and tomato. After all, it's called burrito fresco, not burrito pollo.

Will I get this burrito again? Nah, I don't think so. However, this hasn't turned me off from getting their carnitas botanas in the future. That stuff is tasty!

$10.86 out the door.


0 comments: