Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Fruit and Yogurt


Vanilla yogurt over melons and pineapple

Sometimes I have breakfast. Typically, it's leftover pizza or a breakfast burrito. Or, if I bought them, cups of fruity yogurt. Back in MI, I used to adore Dannon Fruit on the Bottom. Mmm.

Out here in CA, Dannon cups aren't available (except those tiny Activa ones) though Yoplait is on sale often, 10 for $5. And I bought them, thinking "how convenient -- and healthy!" Until one day when I looked at the bottom to see the number within the recycling symbol. You know what else the bottom of Yoplait yogurt cups say? "Protect Wildlife: Crush Cup Before Disposal." Say what?

Turns out, skunks can get their heads stuck in the tapered cups (which Yoplait has since rectified by adding a ring at the base). I'm also bothered that Yoplait execs didn't say to crush cup before RECYCLING. Then I took a closer look at the packaging and checked out the ingredient statement. Did you know Yoplait has high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) in it? I steered clear of other yogurts because they had gelatin in them just because they were gross.  I didn't think to look for HFCS.

I'm not a big fanatic about scrutinizing everything that goes into my yammer. Sure I try eating a variety of food, at which I am often not at all successful. Did you see how many days in a row I recently ate chicken wings? That said, I tend to believe that HFCS plays a part in the obesity problem in the US. Why does yogurt, marketed as healthy, have HFCS? The fruit isn't sweet enough? Why not add some MSG for some umami?

Anyway, people vote with the money they spend toward the purchases they make.  I choose to vote big containers of yogurt. No animals will get their heads stuck in them, there is less packaging (1 container vs 10 every two weeks) and Dannon brand is available out here in those big containers, HFCS and gelatin free.

Now that's good yogurt. And I get to put in however much of whatever fruit I want.

.........................................................................................
091010
I recently came across this article, which essentially states what I was trying to get across when I ranted above.


2 comments:

Lynne @ CookandBeMerry said...

I am also a yogurt person. I like the Dannon Lite & Fit with 80 calories, lemon flavor, and I put 3 tablespoons of granola in it. Keeps me happy for a couple of hours. Smooth, crunchy, sweet, acid, perfect.

The Cook said...

Oh yeah, yogurt with granola is always good! I should crank out a batch of some granola for that purpose. Thanks Lynne!