Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

Hook's Aged Cheddar


This might just be the most expensive food item I've ever purchased. Per pound this 10-year-old cheddar is $40!! That's $2.50 per ounce!

After I ordered pizza from Pizza Land, I shopped Grower's Direct, unloaded my goods in the truck and headed to The Meat House. I went to The Meat House specifically for sandwich fixin's, namely a decent bread, cheese and meat.

Once I picked up a ciabatta, I wandered to the cheese case. There were two guys ready to assist me; Guy #1 asked what I was looking for. I told him I wanted to make a good sandwich. He wanted to know what kind of sandwich. I told him I'd know once I decided a cheese. Guy #1 left me to my decision, which was a relief. The pressure of two dudes waiting for me, the same person that takes up to an entire day to put together a half-assed food plan, was too much.

I wanted to read every single card that described each cheese, telling of the consistency, the ingredients, with suggestions on how to eat the cheese. While perusing the three tiers of cheeses, looking for one that screamed "sandwich" at me, Guy #2 was waiting. The Meat House could take a lesson in customer service from a former bookseller: customer browsing is a good thing.

Guy #2 suggested I try an aged cheddar they had available. Remembering the twang of aged cheddar from when I made cheddar-zucchini biscuits, I told him that sounded great and requested a quarter pound, not knowing it was 40 freaking dollars a pound.

Then Guy #2 suggested a roast beef. Normally, I'm not a roast beef fan. When he showed it to me and how nicely medium rare it was, I requested a half-pound. A roast beef and cheddar sandwich on ciabatta? Oh yeah. I also requested a half-pound of Black Forest ham because I like ham.

This is what $12.60 looks like when it comes in the form of insanely expensive cheese.


Hook's 10-year aged cheddar, available at The Meat House for $40/lb. This cheese better be the best thing to ever touch my tongue.


0 comments: